Monday, July 11, 2011

A Heart Made For Love Alone

       In life, there will always be a battle between good and evil. There will always be a choice  to be made. From the time we're born, those who raise us try to instill values that will help us decipher right from wrong throughout our lives . Everyday we are confronted with decisions that reflect upon our interpretation of those core values. To me, the most important of them all is love.

       I absolutely love my family and friends. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I have a big heart. To me though, it is both a gift and a curse. The gift: the ability to have compassion for others who are struggling. The curse: the realization that there is only so much I can do to help. Most of the time, it's really not very difficult for me to put others before myself. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means destined for sainthood. I just find that it's harder for me to turn my back on someone if I can help them. I often joke with my mom about how I feel when I run into a beggar on the street. I always wonder if that is the one time Jesus would come to me and asked for change and I would deny Him, knowing that I have some loose change in my purse/pockets. (What would He say to me on Judgement day? "
...remember that time when I asked you for change..." and then the incident would play back like  instant replay right before me eyes!) There's nothing more disgusting to me than the looks on the faces of those who think that they are better than the person who is begging. I always feel that I could have been them, and I could still be them. We're all just one tragedy away from being them, one bad, snow-balled decision away from being them. When I think about the earthquake-devastated people in Haiti (where my parents are from) and those struggling in the bateys of the Dominican Republic, again I think to myself, had it not been for a higher power, I could have been one of them. It is said that the opposite of love is indifference. If that were the case, how could I look at those faces with such indifference? How could I not care? 

       For all the times I have forgiven someone who has done me wrong somehow. How I am able to look pass the hurt they have caused me, and still love them? I don't know. I can never stay angry at anyone for too long, God knows I've tried. Surely I can hold a grudge, but figure, ultimately, what good would it do the situation? If God could forgive my wrongdoings, how could I not forgive theirs? (Though forgiving doesn't necessarily mean forgetting, you certainly live and learn). Yet how can I claim to love someone, watch them struggle, and do nothing? That, to me, wouldn't be love. Life is just too short for the hate, the hurt, the anger and the indifference. It just isn't in my heart.

       I LOVE.

       It's that simple, and probably just as complex.  I don't know any other way to be, and I make no apologies. I can be a mean bitter bitch, but when all is said and done, that's just not who I am. In the end, I will always choose love, because it's all I've got to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment