Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Taking Chances

I'm stuck. I can't get out. The walls are closing in, and now I can't breath! I'm crying out to deaf ears, waving frantically before blind eyes. I don't know what to do. Nobody can help me...(but myself)

       That's often how I feel lately. This anxiety, this feeling of being stuck, compounded with feeling overwhelmed. Like I have so much to do, but I don't know where to start. There never seems to be enough time, and quite honestly, I am not even really sure what it is I should be doing, or what I want to be doing for that matter. Yet, I know that if I don't watch myself, my fears will get the best of me and keep me from being everything I know I could and should be. (Could this be my Quarter Life Crisis?
Scared,Unsure and Worried
 
       Fear is probably THE most paralyzing emotion ever. I'm no psychologist, but I'm pretty sure it is (or maybe it comes a close 2nd to grief?). Either way, in my humble opinion, it often times keeps people from what they want the most. Fears, both rational and irrational, can consume someone, crippling their entire being. People miss "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunities and events because of fears. Sadly no one is exempt; everyone has fears. The difference, I suppose, is how one confronts their fears to ultimately conquer them. (I'm still trying to figure that part out.)

       This should not be misconstrued as being depressed. I am most certain that I am not depressed. Just a little scared is all. I suppose the adage is true - there's nothing to it then to just do it!? But everyone knows that some things are easier said than done. Then there's the idea of disappointing your loved ones should you fall short of your goals. Or worse even, that you may even disappoint yourself. (...is this where the Serenity Prayer comes in?) All I know is that my life now is nothing like I envisioned it would be back when I was 16 or so. According to that plan, by now, I would've had a husband, 2.5 kids, a little doggie and a dream career! You should know that I am neither married, have no children, no cute little doggie and am still trying to figure out what this "dream career" is. However, I can confidently say that 15 years ago, I would have never imagined starting a non-profit organization, or having lived in another country for close to four years of my life, or having met such wonderful people along the way. 

       Yet still, when I look back, I find that I took more risks when I was younger. Perhaps because back then, there wasn't much to lose. Now that I am older, decisions seem to be more critical, which makes it all that much scarier. Bad decisions can now have lifelong consequences. Nevertheless, a part of me still believes that, in order to get what you really want, what you feel you really deserve, sometimes, you have to take a chance, and go all in. To that effect, there's no idea more appropriate than the one expressed in the following quote by Maryanne Williamson:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”         

       I encourage you to take the chance...whatever it is. If you really want it, go for it! The worst that can happen- you won't get it (*shrugs*). However, I assure you, you'll never look back wondering "what if."

       In life, we don't always get what we want, but there's certainly satisfaction in having put in your all, with the outcome involving very little regret. So...

       Take a chance on yourself, you're destined for greatness!  

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to that and often feel the same; then I remember (and am reminded by expression such as yours) that no one in history has achieved greatness without Taking Chances.

    Thank you for the reminder. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete